Monday, March 24, 2008

Thinking

You know that little hourglass that appears on your computer screen when the processor is waiting for something and all the brain power is sucked up in the effort? (I know that's not a technical, or even very accurate description. Being a tech challenged individual that's how I understand it.)

My own hourglass has made an appearance, and has gleefully been rotating away since my last post. I can't seem to figure out what's causing this jam up. Surely nothing I chose, so who's little hourglass is this anyway? And what about the internal monitor through which I view the world. Who decides what shows up on the screen? The images just keep showing up.

What am I thinking about so hard that I've reached analysis paralysis? Well, there's Tibet, which I know next to nothing about. And I feel bad because I don't feel as bad as I think I should. Whoa! What else? The current state of my own country's political, social and economic situations. Bring on the disappointment, embarrassment and frustration. Add a bit more frustration at what seems to be the total absence of 'like minded people', as they say, in my town. And the lingering belief (hope) that they are probably here, but I just can't find them. The list goes on and on. Unlimited issues (and non-issues) jostling for position.

"The ways of this world are merely conventions of our own making.
Having established them we get lost in them and refuse to let go - clinging to our personal views and opinions.
This is samsara, endlessly flowing on without completion.
But if we truly know conventional reality, we will also know liberation.
We find completion."

Venerable Ajahn Chah

This grasping mind is a powerful force, and leads to an amazing amount of clutter! It's time to clean house.

1 comment:

JD said...

Kris-

I'm beginning to feel like it's time to "clean house" around here too. I've stopped paying attention to politics or current events for the most part and am trying to turn more inward. After all, there's not really any use in getting caught up over all the "clutter" outside anyway. Be well in your practice.